Monday, May 2, 2011

Burnzania

You've probably caught on to the fact that the title of today's entry is a clever play on words. Yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to combat the intense heat by removing items of clothing. Boy was I wrong. My skin is bright red and feels like it's on fire. Instead of getting TANzania, I got BURNzaniaed.
We have settled in over the past couple days and are starting to feel more relaxed here. It is not always easy but we are accepting the fact that things are just very, very different here! Some stuff is different in a good way and other stuff is just hard to get used to.
A great development is that I have found a great beer and pizza place to go to for good, cheap food. It looks like my diet will consist of samosas, pizza, eggs, beer and water over the next 3 months. No, I am NOT complaining in the least. I've been trying to get away with this kind of diet for years at home but the crazy western media is shoving crazy propganda like "Fruits and vegetabables are good for you" down my throat. It's been nice to get away from that kind of bias reporting out here. A large pizza that feeds me and Jennifer is about $5 and a 500ml beer is about $1.50. My favorite beer is Kilimanjaro Lager. Their slogan is "It's Kili time." I'm trying to imerse myself in the local culture and make that local business slogan my mantra while I am here. 7:00am? It's Kili time. Up at 2:00am to go to the bathroom? Kili time. It's 1:00 in the aftern- Kili time.
We have been meeting some amazing people over the last few days who have organized local groups. One lady we met with has an orphanage about an hour from where we are staying. This comign Sunday we are going to visit them and we are going to try arrange some 2 or 3 day trips we can do to stay with her. The stories about the children that she has there are unbelievable. When you first hear about kids that are abandoned you want to get angry with the parents. But after thinking about it, their reasons for leaving their children are a result of the place which they live and other cultural factors that are results of life here.
The power is out again here so the battery on the computer is almost dead. It is not polite to take pictures of people here and we have heard about people being arrested for taking pictures of local structures as they are suspected of being terrorists who are scouting out buildings. This week I am hoping to get some pictures and upload them here.
Thanks for all the comments, we love hearing from everyone back at home.Go Canucks.

2 comments:

  1. Kili time..ha ha ha. Bring some home!
    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO: Bringing home Kilimanjaro Lager for your family to really understand the African experience.

    DONT: Get arrested in an African country ...not a route you want to go!

    Be safe ;)

    ReplyDelete