Tuesday, April 26, 2011

En Route

I'll admit, when I started this Africa blog I was 99% sure that my first post would be my last. Now here I am... making a second post before we've even stepped foot in Africa. I guess I just love blogging. And saying any word with "blog" in it. ex: blogosphere, blogorama, blogapalooza etc. Jennifer and I are currently at Heathrow Airport in London and killing time until our flight leaves for Dar later tonight. An emotional goodbye at the airport to our families combined with some gravol made for a nice sleep on the flight from Vancouver. Jennifer said it was the best and most relaxed flight she has ever been on so we are off to a great start!
I remember reading Heart of Darkness in high school, well at least the first chapter, and loving the part where Marlow, or Kurtz (Whoever the heck is narrating in the beginning) talks about maps and Africa. I love maps. So does Marlow... Or Kurtz. The next time I blog something onto this blog I'll be blogging it up from Africa. Blog ya laterblog.

"When i was a little chap I had a passion for maps. I would look for hours at South America, or Europe, or Autralia, and lose myself in all the glories of exploration. At that time there were many blank spaces on the earth, and when I saw one that looked particularly inviting on a map (but they all look that) I would put my finger on it and say, "When I grow up I will go there." The North Pole was one of these places, I remember. Well, I haven't been there yet, and shall not try now. The glamour's off. Other places were scattered about the Equator, and in every sort of latitude all over the two hemispheres. I have been in some of them, and... well, we won't talk about that. But there was one yet - the biggest, the most blank, so to speak - that I had a hankering after."

5 comments:

  1. glad to hear the flight went well for Jen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an amazing trip you guys! Can't wait to hear how its going over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this blog in my list of blogs to read since I, too, love blogs. I hope writing this blog brings you as much joy as me reading this blog. Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen and Joel,
    Glad to hear everything's good so far. Hope the rest of the trip went well. Talk to you soon,
    Julie, Jeremy and Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  5. "blogapalooza" = ace. Have you ever been to "blogostan" I hear that's a wonderful magical place as well ;)

    ReplyDelete