Friday, June 3, 2011

Sports Day at HOPAC

Today was  High School sports day at HOPAC. It was one of those days that made me feel at home in that it reminded me of home. I think school sports day near the end of the school year is a Universal idea, though there are differences. It was similar to the sports days that I myself went to, and it wasn't. The biggest thing was the barefeet. Everything was done barefoot. sprinting, long jump, javelin, long distance running... you name it - barefoot. The school has a large grass field and the lanes of the track were drawn out in white powder / chalk around the perimeter of the field. In the centre of the field were the discus, javelin and shot put. If you are immediately thinking HAZARD, you are more perceptive than me. I was in charge of monitoring and measuring out the javelin and discus throws. I clearly underestimated the abilities of the grade 9 boys (and did not think to watch for runners rounding the corner) when a hard rubber discus was launched into the middle of a pack of runners. One boy (at least near the back of the pack) took a hit to the shoulder, but carried on valiantly. Apparently the trick is to wait for the runners to pass by. Rookie mistake. At least it wasn't the javelin. Anyways, the sun was blazing.. I think it jumped up at least 10 degrees in the past two days. Here is a few pictures of the day..
About to Race. No gun, just two pieces of wood to clap together to start it off.

Brave students running past the end of my javelin pit (diagonal white line extending to the track is my pit)

Alex (green shirt) is one of the UFV students who is interning at HOPAC

Senior Boys preparing for Javelin. Mike (Red shirt) is the other UFV intern at HOPAC



Best seat in the house

\
Isaiah throwing the Javelin. (He also played 'Rolf" in the musical)






Don't be fooled by my killer form. I am Hopeless. There is no javelin in my future. I proceeded to somehow hit myself in the back of the head before launching it all of 3 feet.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, this post made me laugh. Good to hear everyone made it safely through the day.
    Mom N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Jenn brings down a water buffalo with the Javelin, Joel provides the bbq and Killy Beer and everyone celebrates the Canucks win in game 2.
    Life is so simple sometimes.
    Dad VH

    ReplyDelete